Thursday, September 11, 2008

I remember


Did the red seem a little more vibrant, the blue a little more precious, and the stars somehow more majestic on the US flag today?

They did for me, as I passed by the flag at Carbondale park flying at half mast this morning, and I admit it – tears formed in my eyes – it is a beautiful flag. I love my country so much, and as I reflected on the September 11th that tragically unfolded seven years ago… I realized it still hurts a little, and I am still a little upset over the whole thing… and still a little angry.

I am moved at the Twin Towers, on our soil, burning in the New York skyline, the people leaping from burning structures, on our soil, our US brothers and sisters, jumping to their death, and others who gave their lives in the hopes of saving some: fireman, policemen and ambulatory services succumbing to death all at the means of terrorists, and on our soil.

  • I have not forgotten them
  • I have not forgotten the killers who sinned against them, and us.
  • I have not forgotten the images of destruction, death and ruin.
  • I have not forgotten the threats, and cheers of Muslim extremists.
  • I have not forgotten the tears I cried on that day.
  • I have not forgotten the stories of those who lost family, those who survived, and the lives of children who lost their parents.
  • I have not forgotten the messages on answering machines of those who stated their last goodbyes
  • I have not forgotten the plane in the pentagon
  • I have not forgotten the plane in the field
  • I have not forgotten 9/11 and I hope I NEVER do.


I hope time does not dull the senses, time does not dull the resolve, time does not dull the memory of transgressors murdering innocent Americans… I hope time does not dull the feeling of my honored citizenship on that day when we as a country where one, we where honored, we where proud and patriotic! I hope time does not dull the reality of evil that exists in this world, and resolve that good must persevere!


I contend that 9/11 is the most significant event to occur in my life time… and perhaps the history of this nation, and though life continues, business is usual, and the world turns – I am today emotional; emotional over the date, emotional over the memory and emotional over the event… and today I remember! To the victims, the hero’s to dead, and to terrorists – I REMEMBER YOU!


September 11, 2001 ever ingrained in my spirit; I remember where I was, the station that was playing, and the spot in the road. I remember the scenes from the television, the call home and the days that followed…


Today take a moment to look at the flag, today take a moment to say a prayer for the fatherless, the widowed and the hurting, today take a moment to pray for our leaders… today take a moment to remember